Flathead Wild and our partners working on transboundary mining issues between BC and Alaska, Montana and Idaho are seeking a communications strategist.
Location: Vancouver or Victoria, B.C.
Status: Part-time contracted position (0.5 - 0.8 FTE)
Conservation communications strategist to develop and lead integrated communications strategies promoting public policies that protect transboundary waterways shared by British Columbia and downstream U.S. states. This position is based out of the Lower Mainland, British Columbia, to maximize proximity to key provincial decision makers and B.C. media outlets. The successful applicant will work with conservation and community partners throughout the province and region (including Montana, Washington, Alaska, and Idaho) to manage internal and external communications, including media relations, advertising, marketing, and social media. This position will also develop promotional campaign products for various media, while advancing effective and coordinated communications strategies.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Identify and maintain contact with relevant media outlets and community partners;
- Develop and promote the B.C.-U.S. transboundary rivers story with local, national and international media outlets;
- Develop and implement strategic and integrated communication plans for print and electronic media; includes drafting/finalizing communications materials, op-eds, press releases, web content and blog posts;
- Develop original content for multiple media platforms.
- Advanced degree and minimum 5 years of communications/media experience;
- Established relationships with B.C. and Canadian journalists and major media outlets;
- Proficiency using Associated Press writing style and online project management systems;
- Ability to travel, occasionally in small aircraft and boats, and to work weekends and evenings;
- Online engagement skills, including social media, blogging, WYSIWYG, and web writing;
- Experience managing supporter data, with systems such as the Voter Activation Network;
- Experience working on public policy campaigns is recommended;
- Previous experience with B.C. environmental campaigns is recommended;
- Basic photography/videography skills, including editing and page layout is recommended.